Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Thank God I'm a Country Boy



When I talk to Europeans about my place of origin, I must confess that I’m somewhat timid and apologetic. “I come from Ohio -- in the Midwestern region of America.” Typically, I must respond to the corresponding blank stare with an attempt at clarification: “About halfway between New York City and Chicago, in the boring farmlands of middle America...”

I say this because Ohio has no globally-recognized landmarks such as the Empire State Building or the Grand Canyon. Its international reputation is somewhat bland, if in fact internationally-reputed at all. I mean, let’s be honest: my home state does not have the most breathtaking natural scenery or the most cosmopolitan cities.

Nevertheless, I appreciate Ohio’s simple beauty. As I view the area with new eyes this month, I am struck by the classic character of the land and its people. I’ve been taking photographs like a tourist, and in the process I realize that I’m proud to be an Ohioan.





5 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Blogger Marco said...

Yeah! It's about time you show some of that Ohioan spirit... It's not internationally known because you don't brag about it! But don't get to proud, cause we still want you to come "back" to Amsterdam...

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Sander Chan said...

Yesterday in homegroup we wanted to pray that you would not get used to the States too much (or that you'll get bored with Ohio)... just to make your transition to Amsterdam easier ;-)
Nice pictures!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Eric said...

It's nice to know that I'm missed in Amsterdam... There's something beautiful about being able to call two completely different places "home."

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

i feel you.
i went through the same experience when i drove through my home state - Nebraska - last summer. it's like you're seeing with new eyes.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Krista said...

Eric, wow. it's amazing how many of the same emotions we are going through. i am in Canada stopping at road crossings and taking pictures of signs most Canadian's didn't know or care existed. And was overly thrilled with my canoe ride and live beaver sighting last week! i am glad God has allowed me to treasure my homeland so much more, now that i don't live here. though i must admit it is strange to find oneself as neither a perminent resident nor, an alien, nor a tourist...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home