Thursday, May 11, 2006

If Green was Red...


While riding my bicycle yesterday, for whatever reason, I found myself inventing a morbid and macabre way to celebrate the beautiful spring that has smiled down upon Amsterdam for the last couple of weeks. And since I haven't written anything meaningful for a couple of days, I figured I'd share these ponderings (disturbing as they may be) with you:

If Green was Red...
And if buds and blossoms were bombshells...
And if chattering songbirds were machine guns...
And if sunshine was napalm...
And if sunbathers were the dead and dying...
And if the scent of lilacs and wisteria was the odor of rotting flesh...
...Then Amsterdam would be an unmentionable war zone.
...An absolute blood bath.

Unfortunately, the forecasts call for an end to "hostilities" this weekend and a return to "peace" across northwest Europe. Oh well...

1 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Eric said...

My wife has told me that this is a very bizarre and somewhat disturbing post (and I probably have to agree with her)... "How can you compare lilacs with rotting flesh?"

Good question.

In talking with Marci, I think I determined that I was trying to add a new element of shock and awe to how amazingly beautiful the weather has been in Amsterdam lately. I mean, seriously, how meaningful is it to say: "It's nice (such a bland word)" -- or even "It's really, really nice"?

But there's something about the description of war's devestation (though I've never seen it with my own eyes) and the unmentionable atrocities of armed conflict that absolutely affects me. A kind of awe, you know? And I was trying to use this visceral response to a powerful stimulus in creating a similar (though positive) sense of awe for the beauty of God's creation pouring out in the fair spring sunshine of the last two weeks...

So that's a bit of my defense. But it could be that I'm just deranged... You decide.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home