Tuesday, May 09, 2006

in case you were wondering...

[Here is my translation of the post from yesterday, for the benefit of the English-speakers who visit this blog:]

Why do so few Dutch bloggers write in Dutch?

I know a lot of people from the Netherlands who enjoy blogging (just as much as I do). Various people with various perspectives... And I appreciate their way of thinking and writing that is certainly different than an American perspective. But for whatever reason, the vast majority of Dutch bloggers write (for the most part) in English... Why?

I can imagine that you might be able to reach a wider audience with English. You could probably get more little red dots on your ClusterMap with English (since it's become somewhat of a world language)... But by the same token, I can imagine that it's a good bit more difficult as well. And that you miss something (at least, I know that I have problems just trying to create a single post in my second language). Don't you think so?

Actually, I observe a unique cultural value in this phenomenon. Dutch people are very practical. And smart. And flexible (at least in some things)... And they're not proud (at least not when it comes to their language) -- like the French (just to give an easy example). Perhaps as a relatively small country stuck between big, power-hungry countries like Germany, France, and England, the Dutch have been forced to forge an identity from tolerance, cultural flexibility, and a practical attitude toward things such as language. And truthfully, I think this is admirable. But also a bit sad...

I wish that there were more good Dutch poems and songs. More good Dutch-language films and television programs... More Dutch blogs.

Thus, I ask: Why do so few Dutch bloggers write in Dutch? I'm curious.

3 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Marco said...

"It's all about the stats"...

If I'd write in Dutch I would lose half of my audience. Besides, it's no problem for me to write in English plus it's a good practice. Because, let's face it... Dutch is a marginal language. Only a couple of people in Europe and some people in the Caribean speak it. English is THE language, just like Greek and Latin used to be THE universal languages...

And it also sounds lame when one translates "It's all about the stats"...

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Sander Chan said...

I agree with Marco. Although Mandarin is even more spoken worldwide than English.

And it's all 'bout the stats, so see my blog...

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Bryan's Blog said...

I go back and forth about which language to write my blog entries in but when it comes down to it American is just easier for me to understand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home