Friday, June 09, 2006

Yearning for the Shackles

Let me start with a confession: I need routine.

Many seem to bemoan the rigors of a schedule, a system, a script -- the repetitive patterns in life. Words like predictability and punctuality seem to have taken on shades of negativity in today's vernacular (at least among the "Postmodern Generation"). And yet, speaking truthfully, I often find myself energized and catalyzed by the "chains" of the "daily grind."

Don't get me wrong. I love vacation, and I'm grateful for opportunities to shake things up from time to time. I love meeting new people, visiting new places, and sharing new experiences. Indeed, there is refreshment in the retreat from routine... But it can also be a bit wearying, too.

When I'm away from my "regular" routine, I tend to get flabby. Of course, this applies on the physical level -- less exercise, less self-discipline, less built-in restraint from overindulging in "ordinary" fare... But it also applies on the spiritual level, as I'm not as regular in taking time to read the Bible or connect with God in prayer. And emotionally... And relationally... Even things that are typically enjoyable and energizing -- like blogging or playing with my children -- can be challenging for someone who is feeling flabby all over.

Nevertheless, I'll revel in my flabiness for another week and a half... and then embrace a return to the chain gang slogging through the routines of life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home