Saturday, September 02, 2006

Larkastic

I appreciate good satire. Suggestive but subtle, critical yet comedic -- well-written satire can scathe with a smile. It is a true art form.

If you want to understand more of what I'm talking about, I'd advise you to check out LarkNews. I often find myself laughing out loud as I read the monthly updates to the site, yet I'm simultaneously impacted by the profound observations contained within the stories. LarkNews is particularly engaging for those who have grown up in the context of North American Evangelical Christianity -- but even outside of this context (or perhaps especially for those outside of this context), the site offers some very insightful observations into the subcultures of Western Christianity (although I'm not sure how well satire and sarcasm translate across linguistic barriers; in fact, I'd actually be very curious to hear how a Nederlander experiences LarkNews).

For some specific recommendations, see Worship leader seeks church that appreciates 'good synthesizer' or 'Perfect' pastor found to be dead. The headlines alone are hilarious, but the stories are well worth the read. If you've got the time, you could also check out: Man's prophetic actions offer lifestyle of fun or Churches adopt mascots. And I've found myself regularly referring back to a particularly poignant article from March 2006 entitled Church franchise a hit, but hostile take-overs rattle congregations. The pictures and "quotes" are a truly authentic touch to make the stories extra entertaining.

I wish that I could write good satire. Whenever I try writing something along these lines, I end up sounding either not very nice or not very funny. But at least I can enjoy the satire of others...

2 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, Blogger Marco said...

I think it's hysterical! Especially the article: "Mega-church downsizes, cuts non-essential members"

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Eric said...

I'm glad you can appreciate the site, Marco. Did you read the one that I referenced about "Worship leader seeks church that appreciates 'good synthesizer?'" It's a must-read for anyone who serves on a church worship team. The quote from the second paragraph is absolutely awesome: "I don't mind if people get lost in the goodness of God," he says, "but I want them to remember what got them there: the gilded, diverse tones of this wonderful instrument."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home