Tuesday, June 20, 2006

If Only Steef and Jurren Could See This...



On our last evening in Ohio, Elliot and I took a visit to one of the largest retail centers in my old hometown of Shelby: "The Sportsman's Den." It's a large store on the north end of town that specializes in equipment for fishing and hunting -- and there's really no equivalent for such a store in Europe...



So quintessentially American, so Midwest, so Shelby: 25 meters of wall lined with rifles and ammunition, taxidermied deer and elk accenting the simulation log cabin interior, customers in work boots and mesh-back caps leaning up against the display cases... Nobody asked me why I was taking the picture -- but if they would have asked, I would have responded by saying that if I didn't establish photographic evidence of such a place, my friends in Europe would never believe my accounts of it... Elliot and I had some fun, reveling in such Americana...



Here, Elliot blends in with the environment as he tries on a camouflage jacket and hat...



Here, Elliot poses with a different camouflage hat (there were at least 20 different varieties) in front of the toy section of the store -- proudly featuring an extensive line of "Hunter Dan, American Sportsman" action figures, including: Rifle Hunter, Turkey Hunter, Bow Hunter, Bass Angler, Hunter Ann, Duck Hunter, and (Elliot's favorite) Elk Hunter...



This junior-sized T-shirt reads: "This little RUNT likes to HUNT." What fun...

I can imagine that some of my European friends might be horrified that I would visit and celebrate such a store (and even bring along my four-year-old son)... And yet, I can also imagine that some of my American friends would be offended that I would insinuate that there's anything unusual or amusing about such a store...

It's so interesting to highlight the points of contrast between American culture and Dutch culture. I'll leave the value judgment up to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home