Monday, May 01, 2006

The King is Dead...



...Long Live the King!

My son has surpassed me. I'd better get used to it, because it's bound to keep happening on different levels for the rest of my life. But it's still humbling to see it happening at such an early stage in life. For the past two days, Elliot's blog has received more hits (almost double) than my blog. Of course, it helps that he was referenced and linked in a blog post by the Great Noel Heikinnen (which is like a golden ticket, in the world of blogging -- to have someone with such an established blog and such a loyal base of readers make a direct reference). But the circumstances of the sitaution are secondary.

The simple fact of the matter is that my son has surpassed me.

But why not? He's a great kid, with a great blog. His posts and (even better) his comments in response to others' comments bring such a fresh perspective that it's irresistible. And as it turns out, I'm happy and proud to have my son grow up (slowly), developing in his own unique ways, and becoming his own person. It seems to me that this is part of what it means to be a parent: creating space for your children to surprise and surpass you as they come into their own. It's going to happen anyway, so why fight it?

It won't be long before Elliot and Olivia are beating me in foot races, outplaying me in basketball games, remembering things that I can't recall, inventing new inventions, singing new songs, writing new stories. This is the way of life.

And I'm OK with that.

1 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, Blogger Sander Chan said...

The king is dad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home