Thursday, January 19, 2006

Local Tourist





I always feel like such a schmuck when I pull out the camera at a social occasion with the classic proclamation, "Everyone get together for a group picture!" Like the Asian tourists littering the bicycle paths in front of the Rijksmuseum, taking photos of my friends often feels like an obstruction, an interruption, an annoyance. And let's face it: there's nothing worse than being a tourist in your own neighborhood -- in your own home!

But I'm always glad after I've done it.

The images above were taken yesterday evening, at our home group's weekly gathering. When I first suggested that we take advantage of an opportunity for a group picture, everyone groaned and rolled their eyes and complained about having a bad hair day and such. However, we persisted with the idea, took a few short moments to get a series of shots (serious, silly, and smiles), and the gezellige sfeer was not ruined by the interruption. We went on to laugh, to chat, and to smile at the first viewings of the new group pictures. And in the end, we're glad for these captured moments that can be visually re-lived.

So I persist in my local tourism... And I don't care if I'm a schmuck.

3 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger J.R. Woodward said...

Eric,

It is cool to see so many familar faces now. Please send them my greetings if you get a chance and if you remember. Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Bryan's Blog said...

Every group needs a picture taker, you hold your head up high and stay focused.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Marco said...

It's a dirty job... but someone's got to do it... Besides, I feel like I'm having a bad hair year... So I wouldn't accept excuses of that kind.

Anyway, the pictures are great Eric!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home