Monday, July 17, 2006

Hoop Dreams

I need your help. Yes -- you, noble reader of this humble blog...

Please follow this link to the Lipton Disc Golf website, and vote for me -- so that I might have a chance to try out for the Dutch national disc golf team. Of course, you may vote your conscience (which would mean providing a rating of anywhere from 1 to 10, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest) -- but I might be so bold as to suggest that you rate me "10" so that I can come as high up in the rankings as possible.

I usually try to avoid using my blog for stupid gimmicks like this. But with your cooperation in this voting contest (follow the link now!), I could see a life-long dream fulfilled...

Well... OK. So I haven't exactly been hoping and dreaming about this my whole life long (maybe ten years, actually, at the most)... And, all right, I don't even know if something like trying out for the Dutch national disc golf team could actually qualify as a true "life goal" or "dream"... But I can definitely say that I enjoy disc golf as a hobby (ever since my latter years in Bowling Green, Ohio). And I'm all in favor of raising disc golf awareness in the Netherlands (hoping that communities may eventually create more disc golf courses in public spaces throughout the country). And it could certainly be fun to say that I tried out for the Dutch national disc golf team...

Heck, I figure I might even make the team if I can get as far as the tryouts.

But qualifying for the tryouts basically seems to be a popularity contest. The more often you're rated at a higher level by other viewers, the higher you rank in the standings. So, if you could take it upon yourself to vote for me (please!) and help me get into the Top 500 -- my chances of trying out for the team on August 5th would be that much improved.

I fear that I'm a bit handicapped in my "foto/filmpje" entry, since it's just a static shot of me (and the great Jason Slack)... But believe it or not, I actually made the effort to visit the Lipton promotional event on the Leidseplein and have a "filmpje" (little video clip) made of my real-life disc golf skills. But the good people at Lipton seem to be having some technical difficulties with uploading the materials from their promtional events to their website, so I went an alternate route to -- forgive the pun -- "throw my hat into the ring" and get in the contest before it's too late (and to be honest, I missed the 10-meter shot that was caught on camera, anyway). So in case you're wondering why my "foto/filmpje" seems to be the most boring one on-line, that's why! And besides, I have faith that you, my friends, can help to overcome this handicap by responding to this blog and going directly to vote for me on-line (and please feel free to vote as many times as you like, as there seems to be no rule against this!)!

In case you're not so good with your Dutch, here are the basic instructions: First, you'll have to click on the link (have I made this point clear yet?); then, it will take you to the website with a picture of me (and the great Jason Slack) standing on a grassy hill next to a disc golf basket. The site will automatically run through some instructions (in Dutch) that basically tell you what I've already outlined above, and then it will come to a stopping point where it says "Start nu met stemmen!" ("Start voting now!") -- and if you click on the button that says "Start" you'll be able to see the full picture (that had been in the background of the instructions) with a vertical listing of numbers (from 1 to 10) along the left side of the screen. Again, you're free to vote your conscience (and pick any number you'd like) -- but if you're asking me, I'd encourage you to give me a "10." Then, the site will bring up another picture or video clip, and you can choose to vote for some others, or you could simply exit after voting for me.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks for playing along with this gimmick.

11 Comments:

At 3:23 AM, Blogger EP said...

Yo! I totally gave you a 10... I mean why not!?

Success!

EP

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Thanks for the votes, guys... I just added an extra paragraph to the original post, with basic instructions for those who don't speak so much Dutch (although you probably could have figured it out for yourself anyway). I appreciate your support as I campaign for my spot on the Dutch national disc golf team...

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you write "forgive the pun"? I love puns. Do the Dutch use puns too? A major sign of fluency is being able to recognize puns.

I gave you a 10. Is there a way for us to see where you are ranked or will we have to just wait until the contest ends?

J in VA

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger mb said...

Hi Eric,
I don't know if you've checked the liptondisksite lately, but I'd suggest you'd take a look at the 'Top 500' thing on the page. Just click through until you see yourself.
Tip: don't click too fast and be amazed!

I'd say: be sure to clear your agenda for August 5th.

edit: and even before I got a chance to publish this comment, you've gone up!!!

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stuffed the ballots... and vaulted you from 6.5 to 9... whew... that was a lot of votes!!!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

you got my vote!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Jason Slack said...

Thanks for the props, Eric. Although I only recently re-gained the title at the BG course having lost it to you almost 4 years ago. Of course you have my vote and you definitely score a 10.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Wow! I feel loved! Thanks to all of you for your support in the voting for the Dutch national disc golf team.

For a brief time this afternoon, I stood at the #1 ranking in all of the Netherlands with an average ranking of 9.0 (how cool is that?!?!)... Since then, my score has tumbled a little bit (now it's down around 6.4) -- but believe it or not, I'm still in the top ten (I'm in 9th place, as of the time of this comment), with a total of 630 votes cast for my "foto/filmpje." So I'm feeling pretty good about my chances at the moment (considering I could fall 490 places and still potentially make the cut for the Top 500 who get to try out for the team)...

But please keep up the voting. There's no penalty for multiple votes being cast by the same person (if you keep "stuffing the ballot box" long enough, you might even see the average score rise a tenth of a point!)... This is so much fun! Thanks to everyone for making this such an event!

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice that you've slipped to 10th, and the voting mechanism is so messed up I can't vote for you anymore. In fact, I can't get the voting page to register to vote for anyone but random people. Sorry, I'm trying as hard as I can to keep you up there.
DA

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Hmmm... interesting development. I checked the link and found the same problem. I wonder if the people at Lipton are trying to stop people from stuffing the ballot box now (closing a loophole), so they force people to vote for others as well...

No matter. I'm still feeling pretty confident of my chances at this point. As of today (Sunday, 23 July) -- after one week of voting -- I'm in 9th place, which is pretty good. Assuming that others are equally prevented from stuffing the ballot box, I would hope that I should be able to end up within the Top 500 (which is really the goal).

Thanks for everyone's efforts to keep me in the Top 10! If I figure out another way to let people vote directly for me, I'll definitely post new information to the blog...

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Hey -- I finally figured out how to fix the link! We should be back in business...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home