Thursday, December 15, 2005

one of those weeks

It's just been one of those weeks. Discouraging, draining, dismal, dark, dreary, dragging... I'm stressed. I'm overwhelmed. I'm tired. I feel like my days have recently been full of dead pigeons -- perpetually nauseating unpleasantries that consume my time and attention. Even though there are things that I can do to superficially combat the situation, I generally feel like there is nothing truly meaningful that I can do to avert, minimize, or cut short such an experience. It's just one of those weeks.

I'm not so surprised by such a season of despair. I'm not so concerned about my ability to persevere. I'm not so convinced that these present feelings are a sign of anything terribly wrong or bad. But still, I'm not having so much fun in the midst of it all.

I take comfort from the fact that many others have experienced (and are currently experiencing) these feelings. I was encouraged this morning to read the words of King David, a song and a prayer to the God of the Universe: "O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me... Every moment you know where I am... I could ask for the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night -- but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are both alike to you... Search me, O God, and know my heart... Lead me along the path of everlasting life" [selected portions of Psalm 139].

Still, I'm looking forward to one of those other kinds of weeks -- when God knows the joy and exhuberance that I feel, when I feel more enveloped by light (since it doesn't matter to God anyway), and when I can speak of birds in flight and seasons of hope.

1 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,
It is Dan from Shelby again. I read your post and I have prayed for your deliverance from your season of troubles. I hope you won't mind but I have benefited from a scripture chain assembled by Dr. Cahrles Stanley. It has sustained me through tough times and it is my prayer that it may provide you with a healing dose of the light of God's love this day...
Psalms 27:1-14
Psalms 31:24
Psalms 138:7
Isaiah 51:11
John 14:1
John 14:27
2Cor 4:8-9
Galations 6:9
Philippans 1:6
Philippians 4:6-8
Hebres 10:35-36
1Peter 1:6-9

May the Lord bless you.....

Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home