Sunday, July 31, 2005

Blog, Blog, Blog...

I like to think that I'm not normally one for fads or bandwagons. I never had a mullet, even while a large number of my peers went through that awkward era of hairstyles. I kept playing old Atari games while all my friends upgraded to Nintendoes, Playstations, and so on. I typically cheer for the underdog in an athletic contest; in fact, I despise sports dynasties (Lakers, Yankees, Patriots, etc.). I still haven't seen all of the "Lord of the Rings" films. I'm hesitant to join pop political causes (i.e. "Live 8"), and you'll seldom find me wearing any of those mono-colored rubberized bands around my wrist.

But then again... I did think it was "rad" to wear flourescent-colored clothing for a time, around 1990. I've attended numerous concerts for musical groups that I'm really not into, just because "everyone else" was going. I cheered for Lance Armstrong for Tour de France victories number 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 (and I confess that I didn't really follow professional cycling before that)... And, I started blogging around the beginning of this year.

Honestly, I haven't completely decided yet if blogging is a fad or a revolution. It really could just be a temporary buzzconcept that gets everybody doing it for six months or a year -- only to gradually fade away into obscurity, like the Dot-com investment bubble or like pagers (isn't it crazy that no one really seems to use those anymore?). Or it could be a new manner of self-expression, communication, art, identification -- something akin to writing novels, preaching sermons, exhibiting paintings, or even something more meaningfully mundane like business cards or postal correspondance. But whatever this blog thing is -- fad or revolution -- I enjoy it.

The "Blogs" file under my Internet Explorer "Favorites" has expanded considerably over the last several months -- and now I find myself popping down through the list almost every day to check for new postings. I'm able to keep track of friends in Amsterdam, Bowling Green, Charlotte, Dallas, Denver, East Lansing, Los Angeles, San Diego, and elsewhere -- and I am invigorated by the variety of blogs corresponding to the variety of the individuals sharing their thoughts.

Personally, I try to write primarily in a vein of short stories -- verbal Norman Rockwell paintings, if you will, with a 21st Century postmodern edge. I try to focus more on the universal truths and meanings of life and relationships and feelings -- more than speaking out on specific issues or logging daily activities. I don't know if I always succeed in hitting this angle, but I find it strangely challenging and energizing to exercise some creative muscle in this way...

Others, however, use their blogs for myriad purposes. Check out Seth's provocative post on foreign aid or Bret's enlightening post on 21st Century Leprosy to see how a blog can be used as a social/political soapbox... Todd also occasionally dabbles in issues of social justice, but typically with a more spiritual focus: his recent post on spiritual warfare in Amsterdam's Red Light District is chilling and powerful... My good friend Jason tends to focus more on what he's been learning about God -- but also with some hilarious forays into the more obscure, such as his wife's highway encounter with a rabbit... Jonas also has a knack for comedic writing, as evidenced by his theatrical description of recent mice problems... Some blogs reveal more of an artistic vibe, as evidenced by Eva's post on removing barriers to God or Jay's satirical post on the commercialization of American children... I enjoy how JR tends to write with a more global perspective, like in his entry on Imperial America; but I equally enjoy Michaƫl's microcosmal perspective on the life of the little baby growing within his wife's womb... Noel is one of the most prolific bloggers I know, and I appreciate his irreverent-yet-spiritual take on life, as in his account of speed humping; Naomi, on the other hand, has just gotten started with her blog -- yet I already value its sensitive and intelligent perspective on subjects such as music and social perceptions... There are so many fascinating blogs to read, each with a unique perspetive on the universe. I've added a listing of other notable blogs to my own blog (see right sidebar) -- so you can check out these other vantage points at your leisure...

If blogging really does prove to be some kind of cultural revolution -- more than just a passing fad -- then perhaps you may want to start your own blog. Or maybe you've already got one going. Either way, please let me know if you've joined or if you end up joining the revolution -- or jumping on the bandwagon (if that's what it is) -- so I can add your perspective of the world to my list of Blog Favorites.

As for me, I don't know if it's a wave or a wagon, but I plan to ride it for awhile.

3 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Yeah, blogging is this new unchartered territory, could be called a revolution even. Your blog is pretty good so I'll check back sometime!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Todd said...

nice blog post Eric! Cool how you tied all our blogger friends together.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Thanks for your feedback on the blog, Crystal. I'm curious how you managed to find it in the first place... Is there a story? Or was it just a random discovery?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home