Saturday, June 11, 2005

The Sincerest Form of Flattery



It's crazy to notice at such an early age, but Olivia already seems to look up her big brother... She likes to be where Elliot is, touch the things that Elliot is touching, taste the things that Elliot is eating. Now that she's more mobile, crawling around and pulling herself to sitting and standing, the mimicking pattern is more obvious than ever (much to Elliot's chagrin, at times). Olivia just seems to enjoy being in Elliot's presence, soaking up every opportunity and hope of opportunity for interaction. One smile from Elliot, intentionally directed toward Olivia, is enough to set her giggling. It's a charming and beautiful image, played out in our home every day.

I think there must be something about the nature of human beings that simply seeks something to emulate, immitate, idolize. If it's already happening in my 9-month-old girl, then it must be fundamental to our social development. I don't understand it, and I can't explain it... but I can clearly observe it -- and in so doing, I gain an interesting insight into my own life and Life in general.

2 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could see those two little ones in action! The last time we saw Olivia, she was too little to be showing much personality. She sounds as enchanting as her big brother!!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Eric said...

I was wondering why there hadn't been any "doting grandmother" comments sooner... I figured you'd be a sucker for that picture especially! Indeed, I must confess that I have some pretty cute kids...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home