Thursday, November 30, 2006

Something Different



It's been an interesting social experiment.

I've been growing a moustache for the last week and a half or so, and I've been intrigued to see the responses to the 'stache -- or, more accurately, the lack thereof. A moustache is not an extremely common form of facial hair for twenty-somethings in the world today -- and especially not in the Netherlands (where facial hair of any kind is quite rare). Furthermore, facial hair is also pretty unusual for me, as I almost always opt for the clean-shaven look... Yet oddly enough, the response to my moustache in the last week has been negligible. Almost non-existent.

I might have suspected that nobody even noticed -- except for the fact that those who know me better were immediately responsive to the moustache. Todd seemed concerned when he first noticed it last week, apparently fearing a flailing sense of fashion and mentioning the moustache like the way he would have politely muttered under his breath if I had left the fly of my pants open in public. Marco saw it on Sunday, and immediately started laughing and joking with me about it. Jason also noticed it immediately -- even though he only got to see it for about 30 seconds, on a low-resolution webcam image in a failed Skype conversation! So apparently, the moustache has been plenty noticeable. In addition to the comments from good friends, at times I've sensed that people are grinning at me extra wide, trying to catch a glimmer in my eye that would reveal if I was joking or not. But very few people have said anything about it...

Isn't that interesting? So be honest: if you've seen me in the last week or so, what were your thoughts about the moustache? Why did you or didn't you say something about it?

For the record... the moustache is gone now. I shaved it off this morning, just after taking the photographs above. I had just been taking advantage of the opportunity to grow out some facial hair in the absence of my wife (who is not a big fan of the prickles). The beard got too itchy, so I shaved it off. But since I was taking some vacation time this week and basically hanging out around home -- not feeling socially obligated to make a good impression on strangers out in the city -- I thought it would be fun to try hold onto the moustache for a bit longer. And, like I said, it's been an interesting social experiment.

8 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rock the 'stache for the kids!

mustachesforkids.org


brett

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger justmeghs said...

i'm glad your kids weren't afraid of you...
i'm of the opinion that guys with moustaches look like pedophiles. so probably i would have said something to you if i'd seen you.
but hey, i guess it's fun to do an experiment like that when marci isn't around :)

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did notice it last wednesday when it was sorta a semi-stache, just figured you were so much more busy without Marci around you hadn't gotten around to it yet.

I probably would have mentioned it next time if it still would have been around.

 
At 5:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just crazy about the photos...the many MOODS of Eric...who knew? Thank you again for blogging...

Marcey Smith

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric

I have grown a full beard and mustache once during a deployment, unfortunately I never took any photos to prove it. It actually grew in petty well. The only spot that wouldn't grow much was under my nose. It made it look funny. Nowdays I just let it get scruffy on the weekends.

Matt

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The camera likes you. You are so photogenic. Mom says so.
DA

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Thanks, to everyone, for responding. It's fun to hear all of the reactions. I actually have no doubt that moustaches will come back into fashion again sometime (perhaps very soon), as a part of the classic 20-year fashion cycle... But for now, the world is just not ready for Eric Asp in a moustache.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Marco said...

Hey, I noticed the 'stache, but I hadn't seen your blog yet! The photos are priceless!!! I love them! haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home