Monday, April 03, 2006

They start 'em young these days.

I have helped Elliot (my four-year-old son) start a blog: Elliot says...

The mind of a child always seems to provide incredible insight to our world of conventions, coded conversations, and convoluted cultures. So why shouldn't a four-year-old have a blog? "A father poses questions and a son answers directly, honestly, and candidly with the directness, honesty, and candor that only a four-year-old can bring..."

Of course, I serve as the moderator and stenographer for Elliot, seeking to preserve the thoughts and words of Elliot himself, as much as possible. Each post begins with a question that I pose to Elliot (thus, the subject headings are my words). Elliot's words form the primary context of the post itself, with occasional supplementation from me (marked in italics).

Some might accuse me of exploiting my child, for the sake of my blogging obsession... But I made sure that Marci was OK with it. And I prefer to think of this as a father sharing one of his passions with his son. Elliot sits up on my lap, between my arms as I type at the computer, and we have a conversation together where Elliot is the center of attention. What could be better than that? It's a win-win-win situation -- for Elliot, for me, and for Elliot's "public" (which will at least include a couple of grandparents).

Please feel free to visit the site and leave him a comment. I'll make sure that each comment is read out-loud to him (and maybe even responded to, depending on what Elliot desires). It's a fun experiment, at any rate...

4 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Blogger Bryan's Blog said...

You must be so proud to have your son following in your blogging foot steps! A chip off the old block, very cute, sarah and I thoroughly enjoyed reading Elliot's insight. We were wondering if there is a way to get his voice recorded, that would be even cuter.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Good idea on the audio posts... I've seen others do such a thing, but I haven't the first clue how to do it myself. Anyone else know how this is accomplished?

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger projekct7@gmail.com said...

Excellent idea Eric...

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger tiffany said...

I stumbled across Elliot's blog last night, and it is the most fantastic thing i've ever seen.
i told eleventy hundred people about it today.
can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home