Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Grijs is geweldig

The gray skies color the gray pavement as I pump my gray knees up and down, willing my bicycle through the gray streets of this gray city... The billboard on my right pronounces: "Grijs is geweldig" - "Gray is great." But I'm not so sure.

The low, gray skies of Amsterdam can be suffocating like a cold, drab blanket draped over everything. The colors fade. I wash into monochrome. I suffer from the heaviness, dreary and weary from so much gray... I cannot and will not say that gray is great.

But grayness initiates hope. We know that suffering produces perseverance... perseverance produces character... and character produces hope. Yearning for spring. Color. Sunlight. Renewal. Hope.

And hope... well, hope is great.

3 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Bret said...

word to that Eric - hope is the best of things...

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is "Grijs is geweldig" selling? If I say my hair color is great, I have Scripture to back me up (Proverbs 16:31), but I take your point.
Shelby Asp

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Eric said...

The "Grijs is geweldig" campaign is a project by Dove (soap). Something for middle-aged women (though I'm not exactly sure what)... The slogan just caught my attention, realizing how much of Amsterdam in the winter reflects a grayness that is definitely not great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home